BEATRICE PARSONS (1870-1955): BORDERS AT BLICKING HALL, NORFOLK
BEATRICE PARSONS (1870-1955): BORDERS AT BLICKLING HALL, NORFOLK
Watercolor on paper, signed lower right. With label from Christopher Wood, London. 14 x 17 3/4 in. (sight), 22 1/2 x 25 1/2 in. (frame).
Notes: Beatrice Parsons painted Lady Lothian's parterre in the first years of the 20th Century. The painting shows foreground plants which are easily identified: a judicious mixture of hardy perennials and colourful annuals, obviously chosen for late-summer effects.
In 1872 W.A. Nesfield was called in by the Countess of Lothian to lay out a new parterre, at the same time that Sir Digby Wyatt completed the walled terrace and steps to the east, and the central fountain basin and statues were brought from the ruined Elizabethan mansion, Oxnead Hall, near by. Nesfield, brother-in-law of the architect Anthony Salvin, often collaborated with Sir James Barry in so-called Italianate garden style, using elaborate patterns of low box hedging to enclose beds of coloured gravels or annuals.Literature: Country Life, May 22, 1986. Penelope Hobhouse & Christopher Wood, Painted Gardens English Watercolours 1850-1914, 1988, pp. 104 - 105, plate 64.